Vos Architecture + Design at the Bayside Building Awards
The brief we of the project was to:
- Create a light filled, modern family home which reflected the owners taste
- A design which was not ostentatious, but respectful to the forms of many of the 1950-1960’s houses in the area.
- To draw sunlight from the northern front of the property, to the living areas at the rear
- A well-considered interior design
- Connection of the living areas to the rear open space
- A home that would be energy efficient.
The key to this design was to create a central stair void, which allows light into the home during the winter months. This also acted as a heat chimney to exhaust heat out through summer. The void has also become an area which links the whole family. They can see each other move around the various spaces and stay connected with each other.
Bayside City Council recognised the design quality, respect for the immediate streetscape and the contribution to the existing neighbourhood character.